Saturday 12 January 2013

....I want to be hot.

I'm a pretty average person....I'd lead you to believe otherwise but, as this is the start to a new way of thinking, it's important to understand my motives.

I've always been active.  Whether it was sports, spending time outside or working out in a gym.  My motives are what drives me.  I enjoy the competition of sports and pitting myself against others.  I enjoy the outdoors and it's sense of freedom.  I enjoy the gym...cause I want to look hot.

The last motive has been a big evolution for me over the past three years.  As an athlete I always had a certain level of fitness and this level of fitness led to a certain level of notoriety.  Through University that changed and I found myself overweight, out of shape and slowly falling apart.  Then I had an epiphany.  This wasn't who I was.  I was a charismatic guy trapped in a shell.  I changed myself and found my niche...I was a trainer.

I took what helped me and used it to help others.  Think Jillian Michaels with a bad crew cut and a penchant for tight t shirts.

I was the trainer who knew the ins and outs and I could exploit any training modality to find the goals that people needed.  I was really, really good at what I did (do) and I was very successful.  I knew exactly where I was going...or so I thought.

Over time I lost why I was working out and I noticed that I was losing my motivation to help others.  I just didn't care.  My last motive came back to bite me.  The desire to be "hot" and make others "hot".  That's what training became for me.  It sucked.

Then, as all good stories do, I had my moment.  My daughter was born.  Training changed almost overnight for me.  Gone was the desire to be "hot".  It's hard to be "hot" when you are sleep deprived, covered in baby goo of various types, reek of diaper and your greatest form of cross training is eating at the same time as your spouse.

It was great.  I was invigorated.  I wasn't training to be "hot".  I was training to live.  To truly live.  I came up with a highly mathematical formula based on years of research and experimentation....seriously, I think I came up with it in the bathroom.  1 hour of training would give me 1 day of a healthy, active lifestyle where I could do everything my daughter asked of me and never see the disappointment on her face when "daddy" was (or is) too tired to play.

This may not (probably isn't) be true, but it doesn't matter.  It's what I believe and what has changed my perspective.

So here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment