Friday 17 July 2015

Fitness Update and Body Awareness - July 17, 2015

Training on vacation, eating as clean as I can be while traveling, maintaining two different blogs and long hours (mostly due to what I'll call vacation insomnia) has brought on some interesting changes while also causing some "deep thoughts" on my part.

Today was the canary in the cage for me.  Woke up this morning having really not done anything different since the summer started.  However, was pleasantly surprised by the sight that greeted me in the mirror.  Defined v in the pelvis and a start to oblique striations from the core.  My response was professional, moderate and precise....I ran after my wife, who was on her way out the door, and dragged her bodily back to show her in the mirror (it could have been the lighting).  Her response was to shrug, attack her own progress and tell me she always thinks "I'm hot".  Wow....there goes my fleeting moment of joy.

It does raise an interesting thought though.  I started this blog, not to train to be hot but, to become fit so I could lead a more active life with my children.  Now, ironically, here I was hamming it up in front of a mirror because of some minor progress.  Hypocrite....know thy self.

However, can't I be a little joyous about some progress.  It's more than I've seen training to be hot.  More cardio, more HIIT, better nutrition and hydration, and time spent making my training better rather than more.  Shorter training sessions with less rest are showing marked improvement on my physique.

Tomorrow will be another test when I have my first race of the season in the Rugged Maniac.

It's an interesting set of circumstances.  On the one hand I am working towards a more well rounded lifestyle, getting my nasty chocolate addiction under control, modeling best practice for my children and spouse, while getting myself to a better place.  On the other hand, can I have both?  Can I be fit, be a role model for my children and achieve some semblance of the body that I think I can earn?  Or do I have to choose?
Are the stereotypes true?
Whole life loving, paleo eating, everyman with a temperance towards bamboo fitness wear and coconut water versus the protein swilling, stringer t wearing, monosyllabic, selfie taking, gym monkey?

I want both.  I want my children to run and laugh while being able to participate in any activity they want, but I also want the look that I get from my wife (and occasional butt smack) when I look strong or look amazing in a nice shirt/slacks.

To be continued....

(for those looking for the pic to go with this mornings progress, refer to the blog post about taking a selfie.  Even my robust ego might not be able to handle the additional abuse my wife would heap on me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment