Friday 8 February 2013

Monster Maker


“Alternative Workouts”
The term Alternative Workout brings to mind thoughts of meditation, hot yoga, tai chi, P90X and a myriad of other similarly “unique” training methodologies.  I’m not talking about any of these.
I recently moved into a new community and got my very own cul-de-sac.  As we were the first people into the block I more or less decided that the cul-de-sac was/is mine.  Hence the “my very own” comment.
With my background in sports performance and training I decided to morph this tiny little hamlet in Sage Hill into a “monster maker”.  A place where people within my community, and myself, could find a place to train and improve our fitness in a non-traditional way, in a non-traditional environment….and get some vitamin D.  To this end, I would create an aggressive circuit with multiple challenging exercises.
These exercises are designed around the simple premise of “what do you need to get more fit” in all aspects of your health.  Lifting, pulling, pushing, dragging, pull ups, chin ups, carries, speed, agility and cardiovascular fitness.
Some of the equipment/exercises include:
1. Sledgehammer swings, hits, carries, woodchoppers
2. Tractor Tire flips, rolls, jumps
3. TRX Suspension System
4. Elevated Bar chin ups, pull ups, leg raises
5. Skipping Ropes
6. Tow Bands
7. Medicine Balls
8. EZ Curl Bars
9. Heavy Plates
10. Plate Sled
(Tire Track)

My goal for this post and upcoming posts is to share these “garage” workouts with everyone.  All of the equipment, with the exception of the TRX, is stuff that was lying around, available from a neighbor or something I built.  I will attach any diagrams or plans for anything I build or locations where I found additional information on builds or gear.
Give it a try and build your own “garage gym”.  It’s rewarding, different and brings you to a whole new level with your fitness.  If you’re in Sage Hill, come on out and be a part of it.  Everyone is welcome.
Be your own “Monster Maker”.

No comments:

Post a Comment